Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Update on my cellphone survey

For posterity, and because I expect the results to change as time and technological progress marches on, I have decided to post the cellphone survey results as of today with a brief comment.

Therefore, as it stands now, having 112 respondents, the results are:

Calling only 38 34%
Calling and SMS 38 34%
Don't use or don't like 11 10%
Love the pictures 9 8%
Love those games 6 5%
Everything! 6 5%
MP3 player 2 2%
Internet on phone 2 2%
Cellphone TV 0 0%




What's most interesting to me is that, despite the advertising and despite the companies trying to convince us that we need all the gadgets, 78% of people answering this survey either don't use a cellphone or only use it for communication (calling/sms). From several personal reviews I've received, there are a significant number of people who only use their cells for emergency calls or to one or two people (I, myself, am included in this category).

It will be interesting to see how the poll results change in the future years, and whether the companies will supply technology that most people will use. Also, I expect this survey is heavily biased toward Americans (due to the population of the site) and it would be interesting to get results from other countries and to compare how ideas are different in each country.


My personal thoughts are that the cell phone is still evolving. It will get smaller and have greater functionality until, eventually, it becomes incorporated directly into either our clothes or our bodies. One could easily envisage a watch or a ring or even a shirt button or pin. The video could be output to glasses or even to contact lenses. I don't believe these are all that advanced and we could see them within a few decades.

EH Rydberg

No comments:

Post a Comment