Sunday, May 13, 2007

What's in a name

I'm a Canadian living in Italy-- a straniero in a strano mondo (stranger in a strange world) if you will. Perhaps that's why I think of these unusual things. Like, for example, the question of how Italians name their children.

Italy has a rich artistic history, arguably one of the riches in the western world; home of the renaisance and greats like Michelangelo and Da Vinci among many others (I haven't even mentioned their scientific contribution from figures such as Galileo).

With all this depth of culture and history, why is it that Italians seem to completely ignore these greats when naming their children? Italians seem to love naming their children after other people and a large number of those I have met, if having a name reminiscent of any historical figure, have religious names. I know numerous people with Christian-themed names; maybe one with the name of a famous painter or scientist.

Well, maybe it's just the people I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment