Sunday, September 23, 2007

Grapes, the terrorist's play toy

If you've read my last post, you realize I think a lot about the futility of our draconian measures to protect against terrorist attacks.

Here is another reason (and another reason to be thankful that most terrorists are not very well read).

Microwave ovens.

What? You say.

No, I haven't flipped my lid. I was reminded of this again when, last night, my wife almost blew up the microwave by putting an aluminum dish inside (she didn't grow up with microwaves so she can be forgiven). This also brings to mind the movie Grosse Point Blank where a hitman used a 7-11 microwave to activate an explosive, destroying the building.

Okay, simultaneously I'm not going that far, but maybe even further. In a leap of credibility I'm going to introduce you to...*drum roll please*...grapes.

I know what you're thinking. 'He's really flipped his lid this time.' But bare with me a moment. This is all real.

Grapes. The great scourge of the microwave. In a strange quirk of nature, a pair of grapes, closely spaced in an active microwave will ignite. This seems to be a fairly recent discovery and the reason is still not fully understood. I've read mumbo-jumbo about grapes channeling the microwave field lines, but I think the answer may be something to do with the activation of the tartaric acid they contain, and subsequent oxidation of their glucose (akin to the burning of donuts with sulfuric acid). Anyway, the why is not important for this discussion. The fact that they ignite in a microwave is.

Why?

Image what you could do, as a mischievous school kid, or a terrorist, with a completely natural igniter. Again, I'm trained in biochemistry, not chemistry so I haven't looked at the chemistry too much, but imagine combining the grapes with flammable/explosive household products (such as cleaning agents). Pop a bowl of explosive liquid in the microwave until the vapors saturate the small space, put in your pair of grapes, turn on the zapper and ....instant kablooie [please don't try this at home - if it works, I'd rather not be sued].

Now, I don't know if that particular combination would work but my point is, that with some research I'm sure something could be found, maybe even more natural than in my example above. Consider how easy it would be to wreak havoc as a terrorist with a completely natural explosive - microwaves are everywhere these days: convenience stores, lunch rooms, display models in stores, airplanes...

What's that in your luggage, sir?
This? Just my lunch, see? *munch* *munch*

I can already hear the tiny wheels churning in the minds of homeland security. George, we have to ban microwaves! Oh, and grapes, while we're at it.

EH Rydberg

No comments:

Post a Comment