Monday, October 15, 2007

Those airline baggies revisited

A funny thought occured to me recently. Next time I travel I'll have to check it out to see if I'm right (and if so, the reaction). As I remember it, from my last flight (less than a week ago) the baggies are restricted as follows: they are limited in size to about 10 or 15 cm a side and to containing no more than 1 L. You can also not have bottle any larger than 100 mL. The amount of liquid in the bottle doesn't matter, only the bottle size -- as I witnessed as the woman in front of me had to throw out 50 mL of contact cleaner because it was in a 250 mL bottle. Incidentally, it doesn't actually matter if the bag can seal as long as it is of the type that should be able to. This was my own personal experience as my resealable bag had a very well-used sticky strip that was no longer very sticky. In fact, the bottles kept falling out of the bag while I was in line. But no one in security cared about that.

Anyway, the funny thing I thought of was this: I don't recall seeing anywhere a statement to the effect that the liquid must actually be in the bottles. Only that you can only have 1L total and no larger than 100mL bottles. I'm seriously tempted to check this out next time and if I'm right I might do the following...bring into the line a bag with several 100mL bottles inside--> and carry a 500mL water bottle. When they stop me, insisting I leave the water bottle, instead, I empty it into the bag and seal the bag. Thus obeying the letter of the law, if not the intent.

Failing that, it might be interesting to bring a 500 mL bottle of frozen water through security, arguing that it's not liquid and so should be except from the restrictions (of course, all they have to do is delay me long enough and it would be liquid). Hmm, I could be taking a long time to go through security the next time--even longer than on my last trip (45 minutes needlessly repacking my carry-on before we even got to the x-ray).

No comments:

Post a Comment