Friday, November 28, 2008

Does this sound like a civilized country?

Perhaps I'm just upset by the youths who come round every few days trying break out kitchen window (which is now safety glass, since they succeeded three times previously). Or perhaps I'm truly shocked by the events of my current home country, but wouldn't you be? In the category of 'truth is stranger [scarier?] than fiction' comes Three reasons to question whether you country is civilized

1) It is a hotbed for slavery. Criminals trafficking in women and girls aimed at the illicit sex trade are widespread.

2) I has been known to export terrorists and is currently under investigation for possibly exporting terrorists in regard to a recent massive terrorist attack

3) The national security department has secretly searched and detained official opposition to the government

Now, I'm pretty sure that we're all horrified when we hear of countries like this. What wrong with the world? Why doesn't the UN or someone do something? At least I live in a civilized country. We shake our heads in dismay for the poor victims before we breathe easy, secretly happy that at least our country doesn't do such things. I know I was that way once. It seems long ago now, before I became more aware of the world's reality, before I paid real attention to the news--trying read between the lines, taking in the global picture. Sometimes I wish I had remained like I was before, sometimes I still try. I've even taken to watching the news only once or twice a week to reduce the media fear-mongering and sensationalism, and to try not to be so depressed.

It's all building up to something--something that can only be beginning with fire!--Pete Townsend

We do have chances to fix things--the financial crisis was the perfect opportunity to try and rectify and obviously flawed system. We chose to use the bandaid approach. Car manufacturers are in crisis (what a surprise! people buy fewer cars when they have less money and when they worry about the environment!). We could choose to make them go green, force them to develop and build green cars after we bail them out. Instead it's same-old, same-old. All we're doing it passing the problem to our children. Sure, that's what we humans have being doing for many generations...only this time, our children really will have to deal with them.

Anyway, I've digressed somewhat from the opening topic. So, for anyone curious as to which country I was speaking about: it's England.

1) Sex trafficking has been a huge problem here for many years. Girls as young as 12 from Asia or Eastern Europe believe they are visiting their new boyfriends and looking for work and when they arrive, their passports are taken and they're forced to work as prostitutes.

2) The UK has exported Muslim terrorists in the past (one was involved in a suicide bombing in Israel) and currently, allegations that some of the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks were British are under investigation

3) Yesterday the Homeland Security Department searched the office and homes of opposition member Damian Green and detained him for questioning for 9 hours in regards to 'leaks from the homeland office'. All of this was done in secret and was, technically, legal under the anti-terrorism laws. Maybe they were taking him in for 're-education'.

No comments:

Post a Comment