Sunday, August 16, 2009

If God does exist...so what?

I've spent much of my life questioning the existence of God. I was twelve when I told my parents I wasn't going to church anymore because I didn't believe. And that wasn't just a kid complaining about an unpleasant chore. I didn't believe because it was my impression that the events of the bible could more likely be carried out by aliens than Gods. Seems even at twelve I instinctively understood the burden of proof, or more accurately, the truth behind the phrase: an extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence.

Be that as it may, I think I've reached the point where it's time I've moved on to a new question. I'm now more concerned with the idea that, even if God exists, why should anyone worship him?

Perhaps I come at the whole religion thing differently than most people and that's why I can't understand the common thinking. I believe that, if God(s) exist it/they are simply being of a greater scale than us. Even as we are of greater scale than other beings. They may even have created the universe from an older universe outside ours (or maybe universe creation is just a natural even of the cosmos). But even if they did create our universe...so what? That still doesn't leave any reason, in my mind, for worshiping them.

I suppose many believe that such a god holds the key to other dimensions--afterlives, if you will--and that worshipping them, getting in their good books will come with rewards. Yeah. Whatever. If you believe that a being capable of creating universes has anything but a passing interest in your existence then...well, let's say, I have some property in Atlantis to sell you. Do we take any serious notice of ants? When we stick them in an ant farm, do we really care about them. Do we feel any great, long-lived angst when we empty the farm in the back yard when it's time for us to move on? 'Higher' beings do not, and never will truly care for 'lower' beings except as pets or curiousities.

So whether God(s) is creator, higher being, or imaginary friend, there is absolutely no reason to worship him/her/it/them except self delusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment