Monday, October 13, 2008

Carbon Footprint

I'm really bothered by the hypocrites on TV who boldly announce that you should reduce your carbon footprint by turning your TV from standby to off. Meanwhile, they boldly drive around in their SUVs.

I may leave my electronics on standby, but I walk or take mass transit everywhere. My family doesn't even own a car (by choice). Fifteen years ago I gave up my driver's license (no, I wasn't legally obliged to; no, I had no points on it). Most of the known world considers me crazy for doing so, including every one of my friends and family. Which only shows that, unlike most of the population, I actually believe in personal responsibility and will back up my words with actions.

Now, I won't get into how politics, the economy and the environment would change (for the better in my opinion) if everyone gave up their cars. What I will say is only, if you want to talk to me about reducing my carbon footprint by unplugging my toaster, or something equally ludicrous, don't. Just get on your four-wheeled high horse and ride on back to the ranch, carbon farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment